2/18 Maranatha Devotionals

Food for Thought

Psalm 119:9-16

BETH
9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.
10 With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.
11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
12 Blessed art thou, O Lord: teach me thy statutes.
13 With my lips have I declared all the judgments of thy mouth.
14 I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, as much as in all riches.
15 I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.
16 I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.

Journaling:


1. Find all the things the Bible will do for you
2. Find the things you are suppose to do with your Bible
3. Find the things the Bible is likened to


The second letter of the Hebrew alphabet's verses open with drawing the reader to God's word and to seek salvation in them. When one desires to be saved, he can find salvation within the blessed pages of the Bible! The Lord Jesus Christ desires to save us - after all, that is the reason He came to earth so we could accept His precious gift to us, repent and be saved!
~Acts 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

Once repentance and salvation are settled, we can keep from sin by following Psalm 119:11 and putting it to use! Our Heavenly Father did not leave us to our own devices. He has a clear cut plan for us that leads us along the way. Repeatedly throughout this Psalm, you are encouraged to dig into your Bible and find the Father's instructions!
~Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

~Psalm 32:8 I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.

Psalm 119:12 reveals to us that our Father desires to teach us through His Holy Spirit! The believer has the precious indwelling of the Holy Spirit who is responsible for teaching the child of the King of Kings!!
~John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

~Luke 12:12 For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say.

Once we are taught, we are not to keep it to ourselves.  Psalm 119:13-14 encourages us to speak to others about what the Lord has shown us and done for us! What is joy if it is not shared with others? What are blessings if we keep them to ourselves? We glorify the Lord Jesus Christ by talking about the gifts He has given to us! Did He meet a financial need at the last minute? Shout from the rooftops! Did He bring a child into your life after years of being barren? Rejoice and share it with the world! Did He bring you comfort in a desperate time? Glorify Him by sharing it with someone else who needs comfort! Don't keep His blessings to yourself - it is a grateful heart that brings the Lord much glory!

The next verse, Psalm 119:15, explains how meditating on God's word will lead us to obey it and respect it. Have you ever been under conviction about a sin but you didn't want to give it up? I think we've all been in that boat. But once you've read God's word and thought about the consequences of the sin and how it hurts your Heavenly Father, did you not desire to give it up? Of course you did! It is by meditating on what God shows us that we realize the futility in continuing in it. The Holy Spirit takes those verses we are meditating on and does a work of conviction in our hearts.
~John 16:7-8 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. 8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

Lastly, the Psalmist says that he delights in God's word and won't forget it. Committing the word of God to memory helps us to live day by day. Circumstances come up and immediately a Bible verse comes to mind that instructs us in the way we should go.  That is why the words of God are "living" words - they have been speaking to souls for thousands of years!

What powerful verses these eight verses are - they are packed with fuel for the believer's life!  Now, take a few minutes and mediate on what you have read :-)

No comments: