6/29 - Maranatha Devotionals

But king Solomon loved many strange women, together with the daughter of Pharaoh, women of the Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Zidonians, and Hittites; 2 Of the nations concerning which the Lord said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall not go in to them, neither shall they come in unto you: for surely they will turn away your heart after their gods: Solomon clave unto these in love. 3 And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines: and his wives turned away his heart. 1 Kings 11:1-3 (KJV)

Solomon had his relationship with God and God blessed him. He started out well, but like so many, he did not end well. God warned Solomon to stay away from “strange” women (1 Kings 11:2). God told him what would happen and we see in the next verse that it happened exactly according to what God said.

We can learn a couple of things from this passage in Scriptures. First, what kind of a wife am I? Do I encourage my husband toward the things of God and His word or does my testimony speak otherwise? (1 Peter 3:1-4) Do I blatantly “strut” my spirituality or does my walk speak louder than my talk? The best thing I can do for my husband is to be close to my God! If I am right with God, His Holy Spirit will lead me and guide me in all things. (John 16:13)

Secondly, do I obey the Scriptures or do I disobey as Solomon did? God gives us many warnings in His word. For example, we are not to be “yoked” with unbelievers. (2 Corinthians 6:14-18) This could mean by marriage or into any close relationship, like business. Picture a yoke, if you will. It has two openings, one for each oxen. One oxen cannot go in one direction and the other in a separate direction. They must go in the same direction. So any relationship or contract which causes a Christian to go in one direction with an unbeliever is not in accordance with God’s word. You can almost be certain that the unbeliever will not want to go in a godly direction. It will lead to compromise for the Christian. The Christian cannot sit on the fence when it comes to compromise – we all know who owns that fence of compromise and that is the devil! God says to come out from among them. That relationship cannot possibly lead to any good.

If your husband is a believer, do you encourage him in the Lord? When he comes to you for input on a decision, do you speak with worldliness or do you seek after God’s word? Are you his helpmeet or do you tear down what he is working hard to do? (Proverbs 14:1) It’s good for us to evaluate our spiritual walk and seek God’s will for our lives. Moral inventory in light of God’s word should be a daily task!

Do you encourage your husband to go the way of the world as Solomon’s wives did or do you encourage him to walk with the Lord as David? (1 Kings 11:6) Is it your goal to help your husband end well? We know Solomon did not end well because of his wives and their influence over him. What kind of wife are you?

No comments: