4/13 Life in the Parkie Lane

Ain't Never Been Nobody                                               

My 8th grade English teacher taught me that "ain't never been nobody" was a double negative, and a double negative actually makes the statement a positive. Thus, "ain't never been nobody" equals somebody. To be somebody I had to be twice as negative as usual.  I was on to something here!

I tried that logic in Math class but zero x zero = nothing, zero + zero = nothing, zero - zero = nothing, and so on. My Math teacher took the opportunity to exercise her ability to belittle me into feeling like a zero. She would tower over me running through her catalogue of insults amplified by the tone of voice that dripped with contempt. I hated the feeling of droplets of contempt falling on my head. I wished I could turn into nothing with a "pop" and disappear from Math class forever.

Today's passage is one of my favorites because it fits me: "not many wise men," I wasn't sure I would graduate, "not many mighty," I was fodder for the predatory jerks in school, "not many noble," no royal blood in my veins. God chose the ones that most people think would be foolish - to baffle those that know it all. He chose the weak, even people with Parkinson's, to completely mess with the minds of the orators with great charisma. He chose the skid row bums, cripples, untrained, unskilled, even the dregs of society - "the things which are not," the nobodies - to accomplish his will.

Put God in the equation and the answer is really something! Zero + God = success in God's eyes. I ain't never been nobody, yet God has been able to use me! God makes all the difference in the equation.

"For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence." 1Co 1:26-29.


© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: