4/22/14 Life in the Parkie Lane

Curses Foibled Again                                                           

Basically, Jesus was saying in today's passage that the people in Galilee would be receptive, but the people where He grew up would not. They remembered His humble upbringing and His occupation as carpenter. Despite a fine reputation, they would not listen to someone they considered inadequately educated spiritually.

I hate having faults, shortcomings, quirks, eccentricities - foibles.  They cause me trouble all the time. I like to think I don't have foibles, but that in itself is a foible. I am foibled at every turn.  They hurt my reputation and credibility. I can say things wrong, I can do things that are misinterpreted, I can get cranky, etc.

I like to think that if I was perfect - absolutely foibleless - that all in my world would be perfect. However, Jesus was perfect. He had no faults and foibles, yet all was not perfect for Him.  Since all people are sinful, judgmental, opinionated and difficult, they are filled with faults. Jesus was rejected and crucified by foible-filled people.

Thus, I know that Jesus understands about being foibled. He knows me and all my shortcomings.  He loves me anyway. Sometimes I can avoid the foibles of others, but I can't avoid mine.  I need Jesus to help at these times so that I won't be foibled again.

Now after two days he departed thence, and went into Galilee. For Jesus himself testified, that a prophet hath no honour in his own country. Then when he was come into Galilee, the Galilaeans received him, having seen all the things that he did at Jerusalem at the feast: for they also went unto the feast. John 4:43-45 (See also Matthew 13:54-58).

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: