10-14-14 It's Up To You


“Pick up something ‘good’ at the store, would you?” my wife asked as I went out the door. 

“What would you like?”

“It’s up to you.”

I hate this kind of responsibility.  What is she in the mood for? Does she want chocolate? Does she want a Pepsi? Does she want something from the deli? Responsibility can be difficult.

After being a pastor for a few years, I have found that working under a pastor is nice.  The big decisions are his to make.  The responsibility is his.  I simply follow his lead and help him where I can.  Oh, we can discuss how to do something, but ultimately the decisions are his to make.  Then, at times, he gives me freedom to do something as I see fit.  That can be scary because he still has to answer for it. Responsibility can be difficult.

King Ahasurus basically told Esther and Mordecai that the fate of Haman’s estate and family is up to them.  Wow. I would feel uncomfortable with such a decision.  Did the king simply want to wash his hands of the affair? What if their decision displeased him?  Would he receive negative feedback? Responsibility can be difficult.

God has given me the choice to choose Him in the first place.  He gives me the choice to serve Him every day.  He gives me the choice to worship or reject Him.  He has entrusted me with possessions, finances and family.  He has allowed me to have possession of the Bible. He has even given me, a nobody, responsibility with the Gospel. God leaves many things up to me.

“Then the king Ahasuerus said unto Esther the queen and to Mordecai the Jew, Behold, I have given Esther the house of Haman, and him they have hanged upon the gallows, because he laid his hand upon the Jews. Write ye also for the Jews, as it liketh you, in the king's name, and seal it with the king's ring: for the writing which is written in the king's name, and sealed with the king's ring, may no man reverse.” Esther 8:7-8.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: