12-20-14 Tax Time, What a Hassle!


“Tax time, what a hassle! I have to fly back to my hometown, stand in line for hours at the courthouse, then fly back home. I have to spend my vacation time staying in a boring motel just to pay taxes.” At least that is what I imagine it would be like if I had to do what Joseph and Mary did. 

For Joseph, tax time meant walking through dangerous country with Mary, who was due to deliver any day. The travel time would be much longer, no vacation pay to cover the expenses, quite possibly no pack animal to carry supplies and clean clothing.  No way to call ahead to make reservations and then discover that all lodging facilities are full and having to stay in a stable. And I thought what I imagined would be a hassle.

Most people lived their entire lives near their birthplace, but not so with Joseph. God worked out a way to force Joseph to go to Bethlehem, which was a fulfillment to prophecy.  

Nowhere does the Bible say that Joseph and Mary complained about this trip.  I dare say, I probably would fuss and complain about such a miserable trip – all to pay taxes! I don’t even want to stand in line at the store. God has a purpose for inconveniences, too.

“And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city.” Luke 2:3.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: