2-17-16 Esquire Thom


While at work one day, a co-worker used the phone in my department. I overheard him say, “Yes, Thom Blahblah, Esquire. T-H-O-M, not T-O-M.”

I knew he wasn’t at attorney or a nobleman of any kind. I asked him about the esquire part of his name. He said, “I just like the sound of it.” He did get harassed about being Tom Thumb after that.

A self-given title seems inconsequential, yet the title Thomas had given himself was misleading. I have run across many self-proclaimed preachers who feel they are spiritual experts. They have neither earned a degree nor been ordained. Anybody can put up a website/blog/online church and post a picture and false credentials and influence lives.

The point James is making here is that Christians shouldn’t just enter the ministry for money or for recognition because the responsibility is greater. The consequences are greater. Those that lead others astray have a greater condemnation.

The thought for today: I should be aware that I have a responsibility as a Christian to speak God’s Word correctly and not with wrong motives.

“My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation.” James 3:1.

© copyright 2016 Kevin T Boekhoff
 https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/2016/02/17/esquire-thom/

No comments: