2/21 Life in the Parkie Lane

Old Wise Bearded One                                                                      


"Hey, old wise bearded one; do you have any words of wisdom today?" I asked the face in the mirror. "You are definitely not the fairest of them all, Rabbi." I answered myself. "I asked for 'words of wisdom' not wisecracks," I fussed. "Hey, consider the source…"

"Who are you talking to?" A voice that sounded remarkably like my wife's, asked from the other room. 

"A very distinguished gentleman. We are reflecting." I answered, and then heard a heavy sigh.

Some guys by the time they were in the sixth grade had facial hair, not me.  I put that off until my 20's. When I was married and had a child, I finally grew a mustache (which took a looonnnggg time). Now at 57, I figured it was time to let my face grow. Last week, someone told me I looked distinguished. Well then, maybe it is ok to be called "sir" or "mister." I have not been knighted so "Sir Kevin" is out.  Actually, I think I am back to "Old Wise Bearded One."

Two men that were following Jesus to learn His teaching had a question and addressed Jesus as Rabbi (Master). In this instance, the reference was a term of courtesy and respect, much like we use the title "sir," even though this had nothing to do with a beard.

Too often, I hear the name Jesus used as a curse word instead of a name to respect. Too often it is a name I take for granted and don't really dwell on who He really is. He is worthy of the title Rabbi (Master) not only as a courtesy and respect, but also because He fulfills that title in every sense of the Word.

"Then Jesus turned, and saw them following, and saith unto them, What seek ye? They said unto him, Rabbi, (which is to say, being interpreted, Master,) where dwellest thou?” John 1:38 

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: