2/20 Life in the Parkie Lane

Never Seen Him Before                                                                       


A friend of mine and I liked to do this number back in the day. It varied a bit, but went something like this: My friend would go into a truck stop café first. Invariably, the waitress would ask, "Where ya goin'?" He would say, "Reno" (or wherever). Then he would leave. In a few minutes, I would come in. Again the waitress would ask, "Where ya goin'?" I would say, "Reno." She would say, "That's funny, my last customer said he was going to Reno." I would say, "Was he kinda ugly, with brown hair?" She would say, "Yes." I would inquire further, "Did he wear a brown leather jacket?" She would say, "Yup." I would ask, "Was he wearing blue jeans and cowboy boots?" She would ask, "Yeah, that's him, do you know him?" I would say, "Nope, never seen him before." Then my friend would come back in, we would sit down, laugh about it and enjoy a meal together.

No one has ever seen God…or have they? Some did - when they saw Jesus. No one ever has seen God the Father, He is a Spirit. Jesus is God in the flesh - God in a visible tangible form - born as a human baby.  Jesus is 100% God and 100% man. 

If someone were to ask me if I have ever seen God, I would have to say, "I have never seen Him before," but there is the Biblical and historical record that Jesus walked this earth. Jesus looked average, not ugly, yet not strikingly handsome.

Hopefully, others will see Jesus in us today - this can be amplified with something like Parkinson's disease (or any chronic illness).

"No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him." John 1:18 


© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: