2/9 Life in the Parkie Lane

Wait for It                                                                 

I bought a measuring tape recently that said, "GUARANTEED FOREVER." How long is forever?  Some of the traffic lights in town last "forever" before they change.  My microwave can take "forever" warming up some food.  Stirring some clam chowder soup takes "forever" for it to boil.  Thusly, I know how long that tape measurer is going to last - not long. 

Actually, it isn't my concept of "forever" that is the problem.  It is my impatience.  I don't like to wait for stuff. I looked up patience in the in the Bible and it means, "cheerful endurance."  That seriously annoyed me.  Patience is one thing, but to be cheerful about it; to cheerfully spend time in the waiting room? Cheerfully endure, seriously?

I think I have more trouble waiting for the little things.  Parkinson's is teaching me to trust in God.  I am learning to wait upon the LORD.  He gives me my days. Sometimes they are very good, sometimes merely good, sometimes ok, sometimes I only "plod" along, and some days are really bad. But God keeps me from giving up. I have learned to appreciate the good days and ride out the bad days. 

I am learning that the only way for cheerful endurance is by spending the time with the Lord during times of waiting.  As trite and cliché as that sounds, it makes all the difference.  Should I focus on wasting "my" time - as if it usually matters, or should I take advantage of moments with God?

"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." Isaiah 40:31 

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: