2/10 Life in the Parkie Lane

Reflectability                                                                       

As a kid, I peddled my "Sting Ray" style bicycle everywhere around Wall Lake. I engaged in great feats of derring-do by doing wheelies and going off small ramps Evel Kneivel style. I had put a "sissy bar" that stuck up 2.5 feet higher than the back of the seat on it simply to make it look cool.  Once I installed it, I learned how it earned its name.  I could no longer mount my bike like a boy by swinging my leg over the seat.  But, hey, it looked cool in every other way.

My Murray bike came from the factory with a red reflector nestled under the back of the "banana" seat and Dad insisted it stay there even after the installation of the "sissy bar."  I never thought much about its purpose because it really didn't anything that I could see during the day. However, at night if a car's headlights shone on it, it reflected the light back almost like it had a light source of its own. 

The style of the bike did pose a problem on rainy days.  The rear fender ended where the seat ended.  When I rode through puddles, it threw a nasty stripe of water, mud and sand up the back of my shirt.  It also covered the reflector rendering it worthless.

Believe it or not, Christians are reflectors of the Light.  Parkinson's disease can actually enhance that light.  God has used it as a way to help others dealing with chronic illness. I am here - with Parkinson's - for a purpose!  Although, the emotional and physical ups and downs of PD can cause me to soil the reflective properties of it - spiritually and literally at times. I praise God because He cleans me up and can use me again anyway.

"There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.” John 1:6-8 

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff



No comments: