3/11 Life in the Parkie Lane

Did It Really Happen?                                                           


If you rescue somebody and nobody saw it and she doesn't remember it, did it really happen?

One rainy day as I drove home from work, I rounded the corner on our street. A construction crew had been working there and had dug a ditch between the sidewalk and the street, which had filled with the rainwater runoff.  I looked over at it and noticed a fragile elderly lady deep in the ditch full of cold water struggling to climb up the muddy sides.  I stopped and ran over to her.  She was winded from struggling. I held her hand and talked to her. 

I did not have a cell phone in those days and there wasn't anybody out in the rain to summons for help along the street.  Her shivering began to worse.  We held hands and I pulled as she struggled for traction - and she made it out.  She looked fine, other than cold.  I walked her to her door where her elderly husband met us.  She went in to change and I went home, also wet from the rain.

The next day, I stopped in to see how she was doing. The rain had stopped and the hole had been filled. When I talked with her, she didn't remember the event at all.  Nobody had seen my gallant rescue, she didn't remember it and probably nobody would believe it. I know that God saw it and remembers it.

It reminds me how Jesus saved me.  It was not a big event in the eyes of many. Some didn't see it at all, and some don't believe it anyway.  Did it really happen? God and I know it did and even if I one day forget, He hasn't.  I have been saved!

"Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him…" Hebrews 7:25a . 


© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: