3/9 Life in the Parkie Lane

The Gadabout                                                                                 


Before I trusted Christ as my Savior, I lived my life gadding about for a career.  I ended up attending vo-tech and learning auto-body repair.  I loved it.  I enjoyed the recognition in a job well done.  I enjoyed the fact that my 1970 Firebird was a head-turner.  I would gadabout town getting "thumbs-up" from other people cruising the loop.

I never fell into the trap of trying to earn God's love and approval by doing many good works for salvation, but I did fall into that trap after I trusted Jesus as my Savior. I helped on the building program, gave sacrificially to missions, preached the church service for Junior age kids, learned ventriloquism, went on visitation, went off to Bible College, founded a church in Idaho - which increased all my gadding about - all to earn God's approval.

Then along came Parkinson's and shut much of that down. Time to rethink things. Now, my service is a natural outcome of my love for God. God doesn't love me any less because I can't do what I used to do. I simply need to love Him and show that love by spending time with Him and worshipping Him.

God doesn't want me being a gadabout constantly trying to change my way for His approval.  He wants my attention, not my busy-ness. The there is a temptation at times to return to Egypt (world) - but that brings living in shame.  I could get bitter with God and be heartless (Assyria - a cruel warlike people).

I am learning to quit gadding about and learn God.

"Why gaddest thou about so much to change thy way? thou also shalt be ashamed of Egypt, as thou wast ashamed of Assyria." Jeremiah 2:36.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: