3/8 Life in the Parkie Lane

Let Me Off This Ride                                                                          

A highway we traveled years ago paralleled a fast-running river through the NW Montana foothills. Just off the highway and across the river nestled against a mountain was a farm that appealed to us. The only way to get to it was to park in the parking area along the highway, then take a boat across, then a short ride (or decent walk) to the home. Sometimes I daydream about living in such a place, especially at times when I feel weary. 

There are times I am just plain weary. I am weary of Parkinson's disease, I am weary of some people, I am weary of winter, I am weary of criticism, I am weary of hassles, I am weary of the struggle of it all. I am weary…someone to stop this ride called life and let me off.

Sometimes I feel like David did when he penned this Psalm (song). I wish I could just fly away to my own mountain - that secluded farm place in Montana. Then I have to ask myself, "Why are you yearning to hide? Would that make anything better? Is this trusting in God?"

God is still in charge.  God knows my hurts and weariness. I know that God is watching over me right now.  Over and over in the Psalms David speaks of God as his refuge, his escape, his place of safety.  I am right where God wants me and is taking care of me.  I simply need to get my eyes off me and onto God. 

"In the LORD put I my trust: how say ye to my soul, Flee as a bird to your mountain?" Psalm 11:1 

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: