4-19-14 Life in the Parkie Lane

I Don't Need to Understand                                                                 


After my Parkinson's had made life more difficult and God had moved me to a new location, I took a job in an auto parts store. I thought it was nice to simply do the tasks for the day.  I did not have to make decisions, my responsibility began and ended with my duties.

One day we began receiving a new line of products.  My co-worker complained about the owner/boss.  "What is he thinking? We already have a line of this product!"

I told my co-worker, "Maybe he has a good reason for doing so.  We don't have the information before us that he does. Personally, I am glad I don't have to make such decisions. I don't need to understand why."

It turned out he had to begin a new product line because of issues dealing the company of the first line.  He knew what he was doing.  We learned soon enough why he started a new product line.

I have found myself questioning my boss at other times, questioning my pastor and even questioning God.  When I do this, I remind myself that if I knew what they knew I would probably make the same decisions. I don't have to understand.  All I need to do is accept things as they are and trust.  My boss, my pastor and God don't need to explain things to me, they don't need my approval.  The pressure and stress drop away when I just let them do their part.

Life is much easier when I am confident Jesus is right, even if I don't fully understand.

In this verse, the disciples didn't understand why Jesus would talk to the woman at the well.  The good thing is that they didn't complain to Jesus, they learned soon enough why.

"And upon this came his disciples, and marvelled that he talked with the woman: yet no man said, What seekest thou? or, Why talkest thou with her?" John 4:27

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: