4-29-14 Life in the Parkie Lane

Picking Nits                                                                                         

Years ago a friend of mine and I attended car show in Wallace Idaho.  We walked along looking over the craftsmanship and custom paint jobs and making comments. My friend noted something.  He said, "These guys put in so much time, effort and money into these cars and here we are nit picking them." 

He had a point.  These craftsmen had skills far beyond my own auto body skills, their artistry shown through in the custom paint jobs. Yet, we felt we could find fault with their cars! His comment changed my perspective from that day on. 

Have you ever wondered what nits are?  They are eggs of a louse or similar insect.  To treat someone for head lice, one must use a special shampoo or something else to kill the lice, then shave the head or spend time picking the nits one by one.

Thus, nit picking is spending time looking closely for flaws rather than appreciating the handiwork.  It is looking for faults instead of appreciating the good points in a person.  Who do I think I am nit picking someone when I don't have the credentials to do so.  I am a nobody.

Also, God reminded me how it makes me feel when somebody finds fault with something I did or something about me or my family. 

Nitpicking is a lousy thing to do (pun intended).

"And when they saw some of his disciples eat bread with defiled, that is to say, with unwashen, hands, they found fault." Mark 7:2.


© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: