4-30-14 Life in the Parkie Lane

National Honesty Day  

                                                                       

Seriously?  We need a day set aside in which to be honest?

M. Hirsh Goldberg, former press secretary to a governor of Maryland and author of five books, created National Honesty Day in the early 1990s. He created this day, because he felt that the month of April, which begins with a big day of lying (April Fools Day), should end on a higher moral note.

About a month ago, I did something I vowed I would never do. I had some items for sale and I held them a week for someone.  Then he told me the classic, "The check is in the mail." Then he told me, "I put the wrong zip code on it," and added, "I will put the check in the mail tomorrow." 

Guess what?  I have never seen that check.  I sat myself down and lectured me.  I hate chewing myself out, but it had to be done. Then I thoroughly roughed myself up and ordered me never to do that again. I took my self-imposed ruling with minimal whining, and I have thus far obeyed my reminder.

It still annoys me that I could have sold the items to someone else - if the guy had just been honest with me.  Maybe I should have sold him the items today.

It seems to me that a day should not have to be set aside for honesty, it should be a lifestyle.

"But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil." Matthew 5:37.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff



No comments: