4/1 Life in the Parkie Lane

Day of the Dolt                                                     


During the time I attended Bible college in California, I worked for a convalescent home.  One of the dementia patients had a strong British accent.  Many times I would push her along in her wheelchair and talk with her. I enjoyed listening to her accent. On this occasion she said, "Take me home."

I asked her where she lived but she couldn't remember.  As I pushed her along down the hall we talked about various things until she once again said, "Take me home."

I decided to have some fun with this so I asked her if she lived in the dungeon.  She said tersely, "No, you silly dolt!"

I had never been called a dolt before. I had to look it up in the dictionary.  It said, "an imbecile, fool."

As I read this verse, I could hear her saying, "The silly dolt hath said in his heart, there is no God."

There was a time when I lived my life as a silly dolt.  I felt there might be a God there, but I lived my life as if He didn't exist.  I used His name as a curse word.  I drug the name of Jesus through life's mud and manure.  I was such a dolt!

The good news is that I did eventually wise up and trust Jesus as my Savior!  I cannot imagine living life without His grace and hope.  Life is hard, Parkinson's adds another dimension to that, but how foolish to try to muddle by without God!  To deny He even exists!

"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good." Psalm 14:1. 


No comments: