4/2 Life in the Parkie Lane

Can't Never Did Anything                                                                  


"I can't do that!" I complained. 

Dad gave his usual response, "Can't never did anything."

That didn't mean much to me at the time, but I've gotten it figured out now.  I had to personify "can't" to get the meaning.  I imagine kind of a whiney ol' character with a large dose of Eeyore's outlook on life complaining that he can't do anything.  He still lives with his Mom because he "can't" get a job. The place is run-down because he "can't." His old beater of a car doesn't run because he "can't." He doesn't even have a driver's license because he "can't." He doesn't …. because he "can't."

I can talk myself out of doing things. I tell myself that I can't do them anymore.  However, if look at life with Parkinson's like I looked at life before Parkinson's my philosophy is still the same.  Take it a little at a time.  Sure, I can't do some stuff anymore. Some stuff I never could do. However, some stuff I shouldn't try to do - especially on bad days. 

Some things I can do for a short while but I will be miserable later. However, most things can still be accomplished if I whittle away at it.  There I times that I need to accept help a lot more these days.  I've learned to accept it. 

Many times "I can't" really means, "I don't want to," or "I won't," or "I am too lazy," or "that's too hard," or "people will expect more out of me," or "I've never tried yet, why try now?"

No matter what it is I can ask for help.  Christ will help and empower me.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.´ Philippians 4:13 

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: