4/11 Life in the Parkie Lane

You Talkin' to Me?                                                                            


One day I asked God to bring somebody in my path that I could tell about Jesus.  I saw a young man with strange hair, earrings, safety pins stuck through the skin of his cheeks, and a variety of pin-on buttons covering his clothing.  I felt God convicting about talking to him as a drove past.  I told God that if I saw him again, I would talk to him and pulled into the bank.  When I walked in the bank, guess who was there? I didn't talk to him, but left instead. God continued to convict me about it.  I told God that if I saw him again (and I knew I wouldn't) that I would talk to him.  I pulled into a nearby store and guess who was walking through the parking lot.  This time I stopped and talked with him.  As I called out to him, he asked, "You talkin' to me?"

He was surprised that I would talk with him. We had a decent conversation about Jesus and parted ways.  I never saw him again, but maybe he eventually responded to God working in his heart and I will see him in heaven. Maybe the idea that I would talk to him even though he dressed strangely made an impression on him.

I like to think that I am not prejudiced, yet I found myself shunning someone that made me feel uncomfortable.  Because someone is in a wheelchair, shakes, slurs his/her words, or has crazy hair, dresses differently or whatever makes him/her different should not make me  so uneasy that I to fail to tell them about Jesus.

Jesus needed to travel through Samaria to get to Jerusalem, but on the way, He took time for this woman.  In this time and area, the Jews shunned the Samaritans. She was shocked when He requested some water from her, but that made all the difference for to listen to His message.

Jesus has time for everyone.

"Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans." John 4:9 

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: