4/10 In Need of Rest

In Need of Rest                                                                                   


Jesus, God in the flesh, grew weary.  He had been traveling on foot and  it was noon (the day began at 6:00 AM). He needed to rest, and refresh himself with food and water.  It was necessary for Him to continue on His journey.

With Parkinson's, I have found it very important to avoid stressing my body.  I need to keep up on rest. I need to take meds on time, every time.  I need to eat at the correct times and stay hydrated. I need to listen to my body and take care of it.  It is necessary to rest at times to continue on my journey of life.

I used to be constantly on the go, but I can't do that anymore.  PD has taught me that it is ok to do rest.  If I don't, I will be unable to do much the remainder of the day because I must recover from not taking care of myself.  Even then, it is ok to rest. 

There are times that I need to take a break.  I have learned that this isn't quitting. It is not slacking off. It is resting. It is a wise strategy. I can actually accomplish more than I could if I didn't rest.  Once refreshed I can continue. Parkinson's has taught me this.

Jesus still had some distance to travel.  To complete His journey, He needed to take a break.  In like manner, when I need to rest, it is ok.

"Now Jacob's well was there. Jesus therefore, being wearied with his journey, sat thus on the well: and it was about the sixth hour." John 4:6.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: