4/25/14 Life in the Parkie Lane


Its Not Fair!                                                                          



Picture © copyright Kevin T Boekhoff

"Hey Retard, still drooling and wearing sandals on your hands, I see," mocked a young hoodlum type emboldened by his buddies to the crippled middle-aged man lying by the pool.

"I wish I could verbalize my thoughts instead of the slurred speech that few can understand. I'd explain that I wasn't always this way.  Oh, if I could only get up, walk over and talk to him.  I wish someone would help me get in this pool.  I don't know if it will work or not, but nothing has worked so far. It's not fair."

"Would you like to be made whole?" a man's voice broke through his thoughts.

The man looked up at Jesus and felt He was sincere, so he explained that he couldn't move fast enough, hoping that Jesus would help him.  Only the healthiest of the unhealthy could get healed.

Jesus didn't work in the way the man expected, instead He simply told him, "Get up, pick up your pad and walk." 

"Wow! I can walk! I haven't done this for 38 years!"  He exclaimed as he walked along the pool.  However, when he turned around, Jesus was gone. 

The man didn't recognize Jesus working in his life.  Too often I don't recognize Jesus at work in my life.  I walk away without thinking and then I wonder about the recent blessing. 

"For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had. And a certain man was there, which had an infirmity thirty and eight years. When Jesus saw him lie, and knew that he had been now a long time in that case, he saith unto him, Wilt thou be made whole? The impotent man answered him, Sir, I have no man, when the water is troubled, to put me into the pool: but while I am coming, another steppeth down before me. Jesus saith unto him, Rise, take up thy bed, and walk. And immediately the man was made whole, and took up his bed, and walked:" John 5:4-9a.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: