4-26-14 Life in the Parkie Lane

The "I Can't Kitty."                                                                            

One year my family gave me a kitten for my birthday.  Mocha grew up to be one of the largest cats we ever had, but one of the dimmest as well.  Our other two cats would hop up in the window and watch the world.  Mocha tried that as a kitten and failed.  She spent her entire life thinking she could not do that.  She would run across the floor, jump up enough to grab the ledge with her claws, thump heavily into the wall and hang off the ledge peaking out the window until she tired and let go. I knicknamed her, "The I can't Kitty" because she believe she couldn't do it.

I have experienced this attitude, especially with Parkinson's disease.  Some days I cannot do tasks that I used to be able to do.  I have learned though that on other days I can do them.  Although, there are some things I truly cannot do anymore.

God helps me each day.  He is my source of encouragement.  He gives me the courage to try again.  He will not fail me. He will not forsake me.  I may fail, but then again I may not.  Either way, God is there.  All I need do is give it my best.  I don't want to look like Mocha, my "I can't, kitty."  The only way I truly fail is to tell myself that I cannot do it and thump into the wall of my obstacle and hang there until I am tired.

"Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee." Deuteronomy 31:6. 

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: