7-12-14 Tugs and Nudges

As we are sitting in church, I feel a gentle nudge from my wife sitting next to me. I lean over and ask, "What?"

"Don’t' forget this morning's tithe and offering." She reminds me just in time for me to take it out of my pocket and place my contribution in the offering plate as it goes by.

"Thanks," I whisper back.  I needed the reminder…again.

God is a gentleman. He has never forced His way into my life.  Oh, He has arranged circumstances to get my attention numerous times, but He has never made me do anything. He has warned me of the consequences and promised me rewards regarding the decisions I make in life. During these times, He gently tugs at my heart to come to Jesus. 

I responded to those tugs years ago for salvation, and God saved me.  I still need daily reminders to come to Him for everything else. He draws me toward Jesus persistently.  I simply need to quit resisting.

God also sends preachers to nudge me.  These preachers are not always pastors.  Many times, they are simply men and women that I have met in my lifetime. Sometimes, they are Christians that know they are being used by God to nudge me toward Jesus. Other times, they are non-Christians unwittingly allowing God to work through them.

I hate being pushed and forced, but nudges and gentle tugs are ok. As I sit down and write these devotionals each day, I think of them as nudges and tugs to move me toward God. 

"No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day." John 6:44.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: