8-13-14 Are You Kidding Me?

I find myself fussing at my circumstances at times. I can only see things in front of me and fail to trust in God.  I have a pretty good imagination and can come up with the plan for God to follow to take care of something.  Then, if God doesn’t do it like that I get upset even though God doesn’t take orders from me.

Naamen had leprosy and asked Elisha for healing.  He had a preconceived notion on how this would occur.  He expected a lot of fanfare – he was somebody, after all. Instead, Elisha told him to go dunk himself in the dirty Jordan River seven times.  No fanfare, no audience, no one but his servant to see. His reaction was essentially, “Are you kidding me? Look, I thought…there is no way that could work.”

I could see myself thinking the same thing - wondering how that would work if I had to go enter the dirty water of the Big Sioux River here in Sioux Falls much less dunk under the dirty water seven times.  What silliness!

God does much of His work in the quiet background of life. Leprosy, an incurable disease that disfigures and kills the afflicted person eventually, pictures sin. When God saves a person and cleanses them from sin, it isn’t a public show, but rather a quiet very personal miracle. He saved me through the work of Jesus Christ on the cross – not how good of a person I might be.

Someone died on the cross to save me?  Are you kidding me?  How does that work? I don’t have to understand it, just accept it.

II Kings 5:11  But Naaman was wroth, and went away, and said, Behold, I thought, He will surely come out to me, and stand, and call on the name of the LORD his God, and strike his hand over the place, and recover the leper.


© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff

No comments: