8-14-14 Taking Care of Things

God has blessed me with many things – a house, a car, lots of stuff, a wife, and a Yorkie.  Along with these blessings comes the responsibility to take care of them. God never intended for me to be abusive. I need to maintain my things and care for my marital relationship.  I need to look after my dog and give him attention, too.

I am also in charge of caring for myself. I have Parkinson’s disease.  Perhaps it came about from the paint vapors from years ago when I did auto body repair.  The brain damage manifested itself later in life. Perhaps it wouldn’t have happened if I had chosen another vocation.  Regardless, it is my responsibility to take care of myself now.  I can choose to abuse my health or take care of myself. I can choose not to care for my relationship with God or to make special efforts each day to ensure my spiritual health is good.

I don’t consider myself an environmentalist an animal rights activist.  Still, I know that God gave man a responsibility to take care of things.  When he gave man the order to subdue the earth and to have dominion over the life on it, He didn’t mean for man to be cruel and careless.

Gen 1:28  And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff

No comments: