8-18-14 Just a Little Light

I attended a men’s retreat years ago in the forest of Northwest Montana.  There were no lights on the compound or in the dormitory.  During the night the need to visit the men’s room became insistent. I couldn’t go back to sleep unless I addressed that need.  But I had a problem, how to get there without bumping into the other bunks arranged barracks style between me and my destination.  I was afraid I would fall onto somebody in the night and they would jump up and karate chop me out of sheer defensive reflex.

I sat on my bunk and tried to will myself to see.  I blinked my eyes, but could not tell the difference between open eyes and closed eyes.  What to do, what to do.  Then I remembered that my watch had a button that illuminated the face.  I pushed the button and I could see! This was the dimmest of lights, yet it made all the difference for me. I made my pit stop and returned to my bunk, pillow and blanket. The next day, when I related that story, others said they did the same thing.

In a dark world, even a little light is noticeable and helpful.  It helps us find our way – and benefits others, too. Jesus is a bright light, impossible to ignore.  If I follow Him I will not walk in darkness and sin.  I will make it without hurting others or myself.

“Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.” John 8:12.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: