8-21-14 Stuckified

As a kid growing up on a lake, I would catch turtles, frogs, and whatever else was not wise enough to hide before I got to them.  These creatures thrived the warm shallow water in a muddy bottomed area of the lake.  As the summer progressed, the lake water evaporated leaving a wide expanse of exposed mud.  As I tried to stay near the water’s edge, where my potential captives lived, I sunk into the mud up to my knees. 

Every step challenged my balance.  The suction of the mud pulled my shoes off.  I fell once and my arm went into the mud past my elbow.  The stale smell of the slimy mud filled my nose. I struggled and struggled to pull my arm out and regain my upright position.  I figured if I tried to use my other had to push myself up, I would be permanently stuck in the mud.  I imagined someone finding my fossilized remains someday, like the animals at the LaBrea Tar Pits. Eventually, I regained my balance and managed to get myself to firmer footing.

Jesus warned the Pharisees that they needed to believe in Him or they would be stuck in their sins. They didn’t realize it yet, but they needed rescue.  They would die a tragic and senseless death in their sins.  The consequences would last for all eternity.

Before I trusted Christ as my Savior, I was stuck in my sins, doomed to die and spend eternity in hell.  After I believed in Jesus and what He did for me on the cross, I was no longer stuck in my sins.  Praise God!

“Then said Jesus again unto them, I go my way, and ye shall seek me, and shall die in your sins: whither I go, ye cannot come. Then said the Jews, Will he kill himself? because he saith, Whither I go, ye cannot come. And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world. I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.” John 8:21 -24.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: