8-31-14 Aesthetic Purposes

“Do you work here?” a friend asked me when he saw me working at the auto parts store. 

“We’ve been wondering that ourselves,” said an opportunistic counterman.

“They keep me here for aesthetic purposes.” I countered the counterman. “You see, because I am pleasing to the eyes, business picks up just from my mere presence.”

Guffaws followed. 

Actually, I have never had to worry about striving to look above average.  Average suits me fine.  To live my life striving to maintain a movie-star appearance has never appealed to me.  I am not one of the “pretty people” and am happy that I am not.

I discovered that God can use extreme beauty, too.  He used Esther’s beauty for His glory.  God didn’t put her in that place and time only for aesthetic purposes, but though her beauty and demeanor attracted the king’s attention.  He made her queen according to God’s plan

Her beauty was not limited to her physical beauty, but her Godliness shone through.  Her pleasing personality complimented her beauty, as well.  She was not a vain person, stuck on herself as many of the “pretty people” are. 

This just goes to show me that God can use anybody – even “pretty people.”

“Now when the turn of Esther, the daughter of Abihail the uncle of Mordecai, who had taken her for his daughter, was come to go in unto the king, she required nothing but what Hegai the king's chamberlain, the keeper of the women, appointed. And Esther obtained favour in the sight of all them that looked upon her. So Esther was taken unto king Ahasuerus into his house royal in the tenth month, which is the month Tebeth, in the seventh year of his reign. And the king loved Esther above all the women, and she obtained grace and favour in his sight more than all the virgins; so that he set the royal crown upon her head, and made her queen instead of Vashti.” Esther 2:15-17

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: