8-30-14 What's a Brother For?

“We would like to invite you to dinner at our place after church.” Said Bro. Oz, an elderly member of our church.  We were honored and touched by the invitation and accepted.  Here we were, recently saved and new to the church and someone who had served the Lord for many years wanted to spend time with us!

After dinner and fellowship, Oz walked us out to his huge garden. He harvested several items to give us.  I protested and he explained that he grew this large garden to give the produce away.  He put it this way, “What’s a brother for?”

God used that to help me realize that I am to give of myself in whatever way I am able.  God has a purpose for me.  That purpose has changed through the years.  I have worked on cars, visited people in jail, prison and the hospital, plus many other things.  Whenever I question whether I should help a certain person, Oz’s words pop up in my consciousness, “What’s a brother for?” His words still provoke me to love and do good works.

“And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works” Hebrews 10:24.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff

No comments: