8-6-14 The Crux

I like words.  I have heard this word used to express the heart or point of something.  Since it was a unique word, I looked it up and learned something. (Yes, I can still learn. I might retain the information temporarily, but nonetheless I can learn). I was blessed by what I learned about this word

Crux means: 1. a vital, basic, decisive, or pivotal point: The crux of the trial was his whereabouts at the time of the murder. 2. A cross. 3. Something that torments by its puzzling nature; a perplexing difficulty.

Its basic meaning comes from Latin for “stake, scaffold, or cross used in executions, torment.” It means a cross used for execution and torment!

The cross is the pivotal point of Christianity. Without the cross and what happened on it, Christianity would be just another empty religion.

The vital point of Christianity is the cross.  The basis of the Gospel is the cross. The crux of the Bible is the cross. The pivotal point in my life is the cross – when I trusted Christ and what He did for me on the cross. The crux of my purpose in life is the cross.

For some the crux or cross is a perplexing difficulty – it is foolishness to them.  But to those who have trusted Christ as Savior and understand what occurred on that cross, it is the power of God.  It is life changing!

“For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.” 1 Corinthians 1:17-18.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff

No comments: