8-7-14 I Suffer with Sometimer's

Sometimer’s disease is a malady that many middle-aged people deal with on a daily basis. It manifests itself by intermittent memory functionality. In other words, sometimes I remember things and sometimes I don’t.  The Parkinson’s makes this condition worse at times.

There are times when I feel I could throw my own surprise party and not have to act surprised when it happens. I misplace things all the time, which drives me crazy. My wife says I cannot find something unless it falls into my outstretched hands. I’m pretty sure that she exaggerates.

I do know that I can forget to pray, read my Bible, and seek the Lord in times of crisis unless I make myself do so.  When I do forget, it is not the end. I do not need to throw my hands up and walk away from God.  I simply need to start again.  God knows I have Sometimer’s and forgives me. However, I am the one that suffers from the consequences of not spending time with Him.

It is important to remember. I have found that routine is a great memory aide.  I was picking on my dog for being a creature of habit and my wife told me I was the same way.  I also use the alarm and calendar functions on my cell phone to help me remember things.

God reminds me in this verse to be careful to maintain my spiritual health or I will forget how good He has been to me.  In fact, I am to teach what I have learned.  This adds another dimension of understanding to what I know.

“Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life: but teach them thy sons, and thy sons' sons;” Deuteronomy 4:9.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff

No comments: