10-11-14 No Delightful Ditty


As a child I recited a delightful ditty something like this before every meal: “Thank you for the world so sweet / Thank you for the food we eat / Thank you for the birds that sing / Thank you God for everything.” It meant nothing more to me than pleasing my Mom and once that was accomplished I could dig in.

I am so glad that I can come to God and can converse with Him. My God is approachable. My God is real.

I am learning that rote prayer – even one I made up myself - doesn’t please him anymore than me reciting some ditty before meals. God wants me to come to Him with my heartfelt needs, wants, desires, concerns, cares and heartaches.

Another aspect of prayer that excites me is that God wants to answer my prayers.  Sometimes my petitions must seem awfully petty and minor to God.  However, He still listens and answers. Please understand that He doesn’t always answer my prayers according to my will, but according to His.  He may say, “No.” He may say, “Yes.” He may say, “In due time.”

Esther brought her heartache to the King just as we can bring all our cares to God. Her prayer was no delightful little ditty like I prayed as a kid.  It was pouring her heart out.  What an example of presenting my requests to the King of Kings!

“For how can I endure to see the evil that shall come unto my people? or how can I endure to see the destruction of my kindred?” Esther 8:6


© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff

No comments: