10-29-14 Mugwumps


“I can’t decide should I or shouldn’t I,” I wondered.  “Maybe I should use a ‘life line’ and call my wife.”  She had wanted me to pick up some Kleenex.  I looked at the myriad of choices.  Who knew that tissues came in so many fragrances? Would the color of the box matter? I figured I could just grab a box. But then again.  I didn’t see any rough and tough manly tissues with cattle feedlot aroma. Not came in auto body shop fragrance either.  How can a man make such a choice for a woman?  Then again, how wrong can a person go with Kleenex? What a dilemma! Such had choices.  What to do, what to do… I was stuck on the fence. 

A former pastor of mine had a name for those Christians that sat on the fence regarding their spirituality - those that can’t decide what side of the fence to be on.  He called them mugwumps.

The problem with sitting on the top strand of a barbed wire fence is its instability. A mugwump tries his/her best to cling to the fence with her/her mug on one side and their wump on the other.  Meanwhile, flapping his/her wings for balance. (I tried this as a kid and ended up falling – barbed wired hurts, too).

Eventually, I made a decision and brought home some tissues.  She would either like them or not.  I don’t remember the outcome, so I assume I did ok.  In like manner, the mugwump gets tired of the effort and makes a decision for or against God.

The thought today is to get off the fence on God’s side.

“A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.” James 1:8 .

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: