11-7-14 I Did It My Way

“I know what I’m doing,” said a know-all-see-all type as he grabbed a can of gasoline.  “The fire just needs a little help.” 

“You are not going to do what I think you’re going to do, are you?” A voice cried out.

“I know what I’m doing.” The rest of the people around the bonfire stepped back as he threw some gas on the fire. WHOOOOOOFFF a ball of fire engulfed him.  He ran in circles flailing his arms and yelling.  The fire went out quickly, but the smell of burnt hair and smoke wafted away from him.  “Wow, who would have thought that would happen?”

Everyone else was incredulously staring at him.  Their mouths were open but not emitting words.

I hear people talk compliment a successful person by saying he is a “self-made” man. Christians will say that a person is doing a great work for God.  Some folks even brag that they did things their way. 

I like to think I am in control – and in many ways I am.  Yet God is ultimately in control, He just lets me do some things on my own. Many times, I THINK I know what I am doing.  I am learning that doing things my own way isn’t the best way. I am learning to consult God BEFORE I do things. 

When I make a mess of things and they go up in smoke, I am learning to confess, “I did it my way.”

“Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!” Isaiah 5:21.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: