11-10-14 Do You Know the Way?

I am kind of a techno-phobe. Maybe it’s just because I don’t like learning new things (Parkinson’s doesn’t help in this area).  Maybe it’s because I am cheap and don’t want to spend money when my old gadgets still work fine. At any rate, I don’t own these fancy gadgets that many people do. My pickup truck is 20 years behind the times – that may be an indicator of my mindset.

A friend drove me to a preaching engagement a few years ago. I asked, “Do you know the way?”

“Don’t need to,” he replied. Turned out that his car was equipped with GPS – a gadget that talked to him.  A male voice informed him several times as he got closer and closer to a turn.  When he missed a turn the voice told him to turn around and directed him back to the route. He told me that the GPS worked pretty well, but he had to use a male voice.  It explained that the female voice just didn’t work well for him because he just tuned it out. He also told me that his wife is his GPS Override, but the voice thing was a problem then, as well.

Regardless of using an old fashioned map, consulting Mapquest, a smart phone, or a GPS installed on the vehicle. If a person doesn’t know the way, he/she needs to seek information to get there.

Many people speak of getting to heaven, but do they really know the way?  The Bible is the place to look for directions. It is interesting that Jesus said He is the way.  He is the vehicle.  Years ago, I used this information to get on the right road in life.  My question today is, “Do you know the Way?”

“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” John 14:6.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: