12-10-14 Peanut Butter Pity Party



“Hey, how are you doing?” a coworker asked me, as I was taking a break by myself.

“I’m throwing a peanut butter pity party with all my friends.” I replied.

Sometimes life gets us down.  It’s not a usual thing with me, but nonetheless it happens. The Parkinson’s disease or the meds can cause this, too.  In other words, things don’t have to be bad for me to feel bad.

The news carries stories of suicides committed by people who seemingly had everything.  I don’t know the stories behind the stories. But I do know that taking one’s own life is premature.  What blessings are in store? What trials are ahead? What is there after death? If someone is not saved, then hell – certainly no “out” from his/her pain, depression or whatever is motivating them.

Wishing to die is not a new thing.  Jonah is one Bible character that wanted to die.  God had used him greatly to bring salvation to a wicked people through Jonah. But Jonah didn’t rejoice.  Instead, he wanted God to kill him – he was throwing the greatest of peanut butter pity parties in history.  I wonder what could have been if Jonah had been on the same wavelength as God. 

“Therefore now, O LORD, take, I beseech thee, my life from me; for it is better for me to die than to live.” Jonah 4:3.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff



No comments: