12-12-14 Ice Bucket Brouhaha


I sat back and watched the brouhaha regarding the Ice Bucket Challenge. The idea, as I understand it, was to donate money or suffer ice water dumped on your person. The purpose was to raise funds for ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease) and it did.  It also raised awareness of this devastating disease.  Much was accomplished.

Some people got doused with ice water AND gave money. However, I also noticed that some people did it simply to get on social media. They did it simply for self.  They didn’t even mention ALS, just the drenching was posted.

How many times I have I done something in the name of God, but really wanted the personal attention? Did God move in my heart to volunteer for a ministry, or was it just my ego wanting to be inflated? This is where prayer and counsel enters the scene. If I work in God’s name without God, it is really accomplishing nothing – just my little brouhaha.

I wonder how many are church members, but have never trusted the Lord as his/her Savior? How many are working ministries, volunteering in various charities, or donating money in God’s name, but He doesn’t know them? I am afraid some are making brouhahas in God’s name, but accomplishing nothing.

“Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” Matthew 7:21-23.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: