12-15-14 The Season's Reason


Many look forward to the holiday season to see family, give gifts, for Santa, Frosty, Charlie Brown, the Grinch, Christmas themed movies, Black Friday and Cyber Monday, decorating the house, and just the holiday spirit.  With all the excitement the reason for the Christmas season can easily get lost. Jesus Christ.  He is the reason the season.

I remember immediately following Thanksgiving, my family would decorate for Christmas and that decorative theme would remain until New Year’s Day.  The entire holiday season revolved around Christmas.  As we raised our kids we kept some of those traditions and started our own traditions.  We tried to put the focus on Jesus by reading the Christmas story out of the Bible each Christmas Eve and to say, “Because God gave His Son, I give this gift to you,” as we gave our gifts to each other.

Jesus came with the purpose of seeking out and saving the likes of me.  I wasn’t looking for God, but Jesus was looking for me.  He found me and I responded by trusting Him as my Savior.  I received the greatest gift ever – eternal life!

Personally, I like the clever little saying, “Jesus is the Reason for the Season.”  I posted it on Facebook and received a lot of feedback including losing FB “friends” and gaining others. I was surprised at those that took offense.  However, I will stand by it and repeat it this year.

Observe Christmas or not, Jesus is the Reason for the Season.

“And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.” Matthew 1:21.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: