12-17-14 Bah Humbug


I learn stuff every day, but I forget much of it.  Thus, I have to relearn things constantly.

In the past, I have taken a Grinch-like attitude toward Christmas.  I let circumstances or finances or whatever give me a bad attitude regarding the entire season. I even said, “Bah humbug” a time or two.

I learned something this year. I heard that “bah humbug” isn’t and expression of grumbling about Christmas.  I looked it up in the dictionary and discovered that it is really a term expressing “deception, deluding, something devoid of sense or meaning, nonsense, or one who is an impostor.” 

I used that expression out of ignorance. I had no idea that by saying, “bah humbug” that I was saying that Christmas is a sham, nonsense or a grand deception. Essentially, I was expressing disbelief in Jesus birth. I was saying that He was an impostor.  Thus, I asked forgiveness and will not knowingly use “bah humbug” toward Christmas again, Lord willing.

“And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent.” Acts 17:30.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: