12-16-14 A Post-Menopausal Miracle


“How can this be, Lord?” Mary had gotten the news that she would be pregnant.  She knew how this works and she had remained chaste for her marriage day.  She expressed her puzzlement to God and God replied through Gabriel.

I know I, for one, have heard the story of the birth of Christ many times.  The focus is rightfully on Mary’s virginity, as a proof of God’s miracle working power.  I like looking at some of the other things, too. Elizabeth’s pregnancy is one of those.  Elizabeth and Zacharias were totally taken aback with the news of her pregnancy. They were amazed at how the Lord had chosen to use them. But nothing is too hard for the Lord (v. 37). 

Some of God’s greatest miracles happen quietly and go almost unnoticed to the world. Some people don’t recognize them as such and some will simply not believe. I know I don’t always recognize how God is working in my life.  Sometimes I take Him for granted. He has given me the gift of salvation and the gift of daily watchful care over my life, among other gifts.

When God does something wonderful, I need to remember not to say, “How can this be?” but rather “Is anything too hard for the Lord?”

“And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren.” Luke 1:36.


© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff

No comments: