1-1-15 Defeatist Hope


What is it about today that is different?  The day is just like any other day.  The only difference is how I look at it.  Many consider New Year’s Day as a day filled with hope.  Hope that this year will be gooder than last year.  Hope that the world just might change for the better. Hope that the weatherman will get better at predicting the weather.  Hope that health would be better.  The list goes on…

Well, one can always hope. Did I really say that?  That is defeatist hope. There isn’t any hope in that sentence, other than the word itself. It’s not far from, “one can always pray.” When I think about it, I am expressing sarcasm.  

“Wow, you are such a ray of sunshine this morning, Kevin! Where is your hope?” I am glad you asked. My hope is not in circumstances.  My hope is in Jesus. Not the possible-maybe-might-happen kind of hope, but the kind stemming from faith. Thus, it is a confidence that the future is in God’s hands and no matter what happens, He will see me through. It is anticipation on how God will use me this coming year.  It is getting my eyes off my circumstances, tossing aside my sarcasm, and trusting in Him.  Hey, if I can trust Him with my eternity, I can trust Him with my life. 

Have a Happy and Blessed New Year!

“Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the LORD his God” Psalm 146:5.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff






No comments: