7-16-15 The Love of a Parent


“Wow! I thought he would be mad! All this time I thought my parents were judging me and didn’t want anything to do with me.  They never called or came after me. They never fell for my manipulating ploys. I told myself that they didn’t care and were embarrassed to call me their son. I expected a mad dad, but instead he was glad to see me.  He waited for me to come back. I’m glad both my parents stood their ground for right.  I was wrong and needed to come back to right. If they had approved and accepted my sin, I would struggle through my entire life.”

Some parents knuckle under to the kid’s rebellion instead of standing their ground. True love is not acceptance and approval of the child’s sin. True love is standing for what is right, no matter how hard it is. True love is still standing for right when the child returns. The Bible doesn’t say how long the prodigal son was living in Stupidville, but eventually he came to his senses. God had never given up on him and continually worked in his heart.

The prodigal’s parents had felt gut shot when Junior left, but stood their ground despite the anguish and oh, how they rejoiced because they did!

“And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.” Luke 15:20.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff

https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/2015/07/16/the-love-of-a-parent/

No comments: