8-12-15 Potluck Again


Every month our church had a potluck, which I really enjoyed at first. But after a while it became the same old thing. Sister So-and-so made her macaroni salad again. Bro. So-and-so brought fried chicken from the store again. Also, it seemed like we just had a potluck and now we have to prepare again! What a weariness it got to be.

It happens this way in church, too. I have heard people complain that they have to help serve the Lord’s Supper again. Some fuss that there are too many services in the week. “It just gets old,” they say. “The church has too many activities. They want a person to be spiritual 24-7!”

I know I have found myself getting tired of church. I no longer want to dress nice for church. I no longer want to give my best, read my Bible, tithe, etc. When that happens, it’s not church, it’s me! I know that if I had that attitude at work, I may not work there very long. If I showed that attitude at home, my wife wouldn’t be very happy with me.

The word “snuffed” in this passage means to “give up on.” If I do not check my attitude, I could find myself giving up on God. I need to pay attention and when I feel like I don’t care anymore, to repent.

‘’Ye said also, Behold, what a weariness is it! and ye have snuffed at it, saith the LORD of hosts; and ye brought that which was torn, and the lame, and the sick; thus ye brought an offering: should I accept this of your hand? saith the LORD. But cursed be the deceiver, which hath in his flock a male, and voweth, and sacrificeth unto the Lord a corrupt thing: for I am a great King, saith the LORD of hosts, and my name is dreadful among the heathen.” Malachi 1:13-14.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/2015/08/12/potluck-again/

No comments: