8-14-15 A Cursed Blessing



Recently we went to the local fair. We had always heard about the special foods sold at fairs, so my wife and I decided to try a smoked turkey leg.  We looked at the price and said, “It better be good.” It was. We felt like barbarians as we bit off junks from our huge turkey legs. It reminded me a bit of a Fred Flintstone sized portion. Later, the turkey leg turned out to be a cursed blessing. It upset my stomach in a serious and disturbing manner.

God had told the priests in this passage that they weren’t listening to God, or giving him the glory in things. As a result God chose to curse their blessings. Good food ruined their health. Their position of importance would be looked down on by the people. In fact, it would get so bad that God would rub their faces in the waste of the sacrifices. The blessed position of service to God would become a shame and embarrassment.

As a Christian, I can come to God as a priest with prayers, petitions, cares and concerns. This also means that I have a responsibility to listen to God and glorify Him when I can. I can’t say that God cursed my turkey leg lunch because of something I did. Maybe my stomach has just grown more intolerant of greasy food. Regardless, I don’t want my blessings cursed.

“And now, O ye priests, this commandment is for you. If ye will not hear, and if ye will not lay it to heart, to give glory unto my name, saith the LORD of hosts, I will even send a curse upon you, and I will curse your blessings: yea, I have cursed them already, because ye do not lay it to heart. I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it.” Malachi 2:1-3.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/2015/08/14/a-cursed-blessing/

No comments: