8-8-15 The Old Man Upstairs


We were having plumbing problems in our church. As a result, I met the plumber I had called at the church to show him the problem. As he entered the sanctuary, he took off his baseball cap to show God respect. This surprised me because he was not a church-goer. Every time he walked through the sanctuary while he was on the job, he removed his cap.

It made me think about how many of us Christians really show God fear and honor. Do I honor God with proper respect or call him “The Old Man” or “The Man Upstairs” or maybe “The Old Man Upstairs.” Do I show God my love through my clothing, conduct, language, attitude etc.?

A master is a boss. Do I show my boss respect? Do I show my Master as much respect? I have seen employees quit working as soon as the boss left. Later, they discover that the boss could figure out they did nothing while he was gone when they found themselves in the unemployment line. I hope I show my Master respect through doing His will for my life.

I may not have ever called God, “The Old Man Upstairs” or anything like that, but I know I fail Him in other ways – I shouldn’t be astonished when He dings me on them.

“A son honoureth his father, and a servant his master: if then I be a father, where is mine honour? and if I be a master, where is my fear? saith the LORD of hosts unto you, O priests, that despise my name. And ye say, Wherein have we despised thy name?” Malachi 1:6.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/2015/08/08/the-old-man-upstairs/

No comments: