9-5-15 Pilfering & Purloining


I worked the evening shift at a retirement home while attending Bible college. One night I noticed a donut in the fridge. I thought somebody liked me enough to leave it for me, so I ate it. The next day, a co-worker asked me if I ate his donut. No amount of explained would calm him down. He told everyone that I had pilfered and purloined his donut and was nothing but a no good thief. I had to buy him a donut to end this assault on my reputation. The donut wasn’t the issue, the fact that I took something that didn’t belong to me did. Besides it gave the co-worker something to harass me about.

In the grand scheme of things my contribution toward God doesn’t matter much, except that it is His. I understand that God blesses people with an income through a job or whatever. All He asks in return is 10% (that’s what “tithe” means). Offerings are above the tithe.

When I willfully hold back what belongs to God, I am pilfering and purloining Him - and I am robbing myself of promised blessings. Funny how that works.

“Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation. Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.  And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts. And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.” Malachi 3:8-12.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff

 https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/2015/09/05/pilfering-purloining/

No comments: