9-3-15 I'm Not Doing This For Me


Recently, I was dog sitting a friend’s lively little dog. Skippy loved to play but wanted to do so by his rules not mine. Sometimes when I threw the stuffed toy for him, he would run and pick it up then drop it. I would tell him, “Bring it back, I’m not doing this for me, you know.”

He would nudge it with his nose as if to say, “Well, here it is, now throw it again.” We would have a standoff as to whose rules we were following. He just didn’t seem to see that he was doing anything wrong. Since he would not bring the toy back to me, the game was over.

It astonishes me how I can be serving God my way and not even see that I am not following Him. He has ordinances and standards and I fail to keep them. Then when God says, “Return unto me.” I don’t understand. Then again, maybe I am like Skippy and just want to do things my own way and exasperate God.

“Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return?” Malachi 3:7.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


No comments: