10-1-15 How Can You Sleep at a Time Like This?


A cloud was coming in, so I decided to walk our dog, Chico, quickly before the rain started. As I stood in the yard waiting for our Pomeranian, who was in no hurry to do his business, I heard a sizzling sound and a huge BANG! I don’t remember lightning sizzling before. Chico needed no more incentive. We were back in the house in short order with our hearts pounding. Chico vibrated in fear for a while, especially when the wind blew the rain against the house while the thunder shook the house.

I’ve never understood how our kids could sleep through such window rattling thunder until I got Parkinson’s. At times, I can sleep through anything it seems. More than once I got up in the morning and wondered why leaves and branches were scattered all over the yard. A storm had gone through and I slept through it. It amazes me that I could sleep at a time like that.

The ship was breaking apart. The sailors were throwing their profits overboard. These seasoned and experienced mariners were afraid. This was the perfect storm. They were fighting for their lives – and Jonah was asleep! I don’t know how he could sleep through it, but he did.

It strikes me as odd that we can sleep through the spiritual storms of life. God sends it and we are oblivious to it. How can that be? How can we sleep at a time like that? I should think that I would run to God in prayer. I would think I would react as soon as I hear the sizzle. I hope that I am learning to do so.

“Then the mariners were afraid, and cried every man unto his god, and cast forth the wares that were in the ship into the sea, to lighten it of them. But Jonah was gone down into the sides of the ship; and he lay, and was fast asleep.” Jonah 1:5.

© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff

 https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/2015/10/01/how-can-you-sleep-at-a-time-like-this/

No comments: