10-2-15 What is the Matter with You?


I have found myself wanting to say this to certain people and certain times. I want to ask someone who has a body piercing on their tongue this question. I have met people that are in business, but they are rude. I want to ask them, “What is the matter with you? Don’t you want my business?”
I am sure there are people that don’t understand me that would love to ask me, “What is the matter with you?”

If someone does, I think I will respond, “They haven’t diagnosed it yet.” Or “It’s all in my head. Yup, it’s Parkinson’s,” not that that has anything to do with their rhetorical question. I have figured out that when somebody asks that, they aren’t wanting an answer, they are expressing their astonishment.

When the shipmaster said to Jonah, “What meanest thou, O sleeper?” he was amazed to find him asleep and basically asked him what was wrong with him. Was Jonah ill? Was Jonah injured? Was he well enough to pray? Did he just not care? The astonished shipmaster was expressing his disgust and ordering Jonah to pray.

“So the shipmaster came to him, and said unto him, What meanest thou, O sleeper? arise, call upon thy God, if so be that God will think upon us, that we perish not.” Jonah 1:6.
© copyright Kevin T Boekhoff


https://tugsandnudges.wordpress.com/2015/10/02/what-is-the-matter-with-you/

No comments: